- We make grants only for special benefits such as playground equipment, library books, musical instruments or school journeys. We do not make grants for building maintenance.
- We will only consider one application per school within an academic year.
- We do not fund costs for members of staff, for example those accompanying children on school journeys.
- We ask you to provide evidence of the proposed expenditure such as quotations or invoices for any equipment or travel in your application.
- We encourage applications to be made to other charities.
- Our grants to schools are usually around £2,000.
Before you start to complete our application form, please also note that we ask you to submit applications at least three months before the proposed expenditure is due.
Our meetings are usually in February, April, June, September and December. Therefore, if you are making an application for funding for a school journey that takes place in July, it is best to get your application to us for our February meeting at the latest. Then if we have further questions, which we often do, there is still time for you supply the information.
We ask you to acknowledge The Philological Foundation as a funder in your school newsletter or publicity, and also to send us a report after the funding has been spent. We may use this information on our website.